1. The process by which one group takes on the cultural and other traits of a larger group is called _______. (1 point)
2. Chinatown in San Francisco and Little Havana in Miami are examples of _______. (1 point)
3. The Salad Bowl analogy of U.S. society states that (1 point)
ethnic groups living in the United States retain unique features, but also contribute to American culture as a whole.
all ethnic groups’ cultures have melted overtime into one distinct culture.
ethnic groups are entirely separated in U.S. society and have no influence upon one another.
immigrants must abandon their traditions to be successful in U.S. society.
4. A form of government in which a king or queen acts as head of state while parliament makes legislation is called a ________. (1 point)
5. Based on the text, what was the African diaspora? (1 point)
the transporting of Africans to the New World for slave labor
the dispersion of Africans during and after the trans-Atlantic slave trade
the multiculturalism of African American colonies in the New World
the assimilation of African culture into that of the United States
6. Which is the term for a completely structured language that develops from a blending of native languages and introduced languages? (1 point)
7. Which movement was initiated in the 1960s by Quebecer Réne Lévesque? (1 point)
a movement to give indigenous people their own province
a movement to make French the official language of Canada
an initiative to put an end to all immigration into Canada
a movement to make Quebec an independent sovereignty
8. Which U.S. city is best known for celebrating the tradition of Mardi Gras? (1 point)
New York City
9. Which country is responsible for laying Canada’s cultural foundation? (1 point)
The United States
10. Which group makes up the largest segment of the Mexican population? (1 point)