Open your physical or email mailbox during a campaign year and you may find hundreds of unsolicited, political handbills funded by individual campaigns, Political Action Committees (PACs), and Super Political Action Committees (SPACs). Handbills may include endorsements and/or condemnation from interest groups, public policy concerns, and snippets of news coverage favorable and/or unfavorable to a candidate and/or office holder. Handbills may also contain information about a person’s voting record and their public policy concerns.
As you can imagine, creating a favorable handbill that fully articulates the strength of the candidate’s character, public policy concerns, and endorsements takes a bit of research and finesse. In this assignment, you are going to give this kind of work a try.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Open your physical or email mailbox during a campaign year and you may find hundreds of unsolicited, political handbills funded by individual campaigns
Just from $13/Page
Following are some suggested resources for creating your handbill:
- Ballotpedia’s website on political parties in the United States.
- Data on Campaign Finance, Super PACs, Industries, and Lobbying. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.opensecrets.org/.
- Candidate’s official website, which you can find by googling the candidate’s name + official website.
- Local, State, and National News Media.
- On the Issues’ website about candidates and elected officials’ political positions.
- Pew Research Center’s website on public opinion polling and data-driven political research.
- Vote Smart’s website database on candidates and elected officials.
Directions: Select a recent candidate or officeholder at the federal level that you considered supporting with your vote. Craft a handbill that advocates your person’s candidacy. Include the following:
- The Individual
- Does this person’s moral and professional capacity make this individual capable of serving “we the people” ethically and well?
- Political Party
- Does the person align well with the political party?
- Does the person have a political party endorsement?
- Public Policy
- Select two specific examples of public policy that your person advocates from the following fields:
- Economic policy – for example, U.S. budget deficit spending.
- Education policy – for example, the implementation of charter schools.
- Environmental policy – for example, the Clean Air Act.
- Foreign policy – for example, the interplay between civil liberties and the Patriot Act.
- Healthcare policy – for example, the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Welfare policy – for example, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).
- Why are these public policies important to this person and the potential voters?
- Interest Groups? Note: PAC donations illustrate support.
- News Media?
Order your essay today and save 20% with the discount code: OFFNOW