Essay 1: The Ethics of Belief
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
This assignment concerns the opposing views of w.t. clifford and
Just from $13/Page
Begin by reading Part I of Clifford’s “The Ethics of Belief” by W.T Clifford. Write a 200-300 word essay that describes his attitude towards belief. Be sure to address the following issues:
- Why does Clifford say what we believe is not merely a private matter, but a moral issue?
- What is morally permissible for us to believe?
- What implications does his view have for religious faith? Before answering this question, you may want to look at the last few lines of Part III that begin with “To sum up.”
Use examples where appropriate in your discussion.
Essay 2: The Will to Believe.
The second essay, “The Will to Believe,” contains William James’ response to Clifford.
You are to write 200-300 words explaining James’ response to Clifford’s position. Be sure to include the following:
- Explain James classification of hypotheses as alive or dead and the types of options used in deciding between alternative hypotheses.
- Explain why James does not believe it is rational to suspend belief about the existence of God and like religious matters?
- What does James say about the practicality of Clifford’s claims pertaining to what we are permitted to believe?
Chapters 4 and 5 in Philosophy of Religion Online Textbook
Source: http://www.qcc.cuny.edusocial/sciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/ – (Chapter 4)
Source: http://www.qcc.cuny.edu/socialsciences/ppecorino/phil_of_religion_text/ – (Chapter 5)
Thomas Aquinas’ five ways of proving God’s existence
An Atheist perspective. Bertrand Russell’s “Why I am Not a Christian”. See the sections starting “The Existence of God” through “The Argument for the Remedying of Injustice
Quotations, Etymology, History, Beliefs of Agnostics